Municipality of Ponferrada
Data of construction: (11th -14 th century)
When the Monarchs of León donated Ponferrada to the Order of
in the year 1178, the Templar knights found a small fortress that had originally been a castro and later on a Roman citadel.
They extended and improved it in order to defend the Road to Santiago; it would be finished by the year 1282.
The Castle nowadays is the result of several building works.
Improvements and new elements from the first square plant wall in the early 12th century to the latest areas that were built at the end of the 15th century and at the beginning of the 16th century.
Further improvements such as the stables in 1848 and the long number of alterations that were made from the beginning of the 20th century, have contributed to the complexity of the monument as it is known today.
The coats of arms of the people that lived here and took part in the process of construction are a clear example of the different stages.
De martes a domingo: de 10:00 a 14:00 a 16:00 a 18:00 h.
Cerrado los lunes