Municipality of Ponferrada

< Home
  • Home
  • Monuments
  • Museums
  • Routes
  • Gastronomy
  • Leisure & Celebrations

Templar Castle

Data of construction: (11th -14 th century)

Castillo del TempleHigh resolution image. This link will open using lightbox, there may be a context switch When the Monarchs of León donated Ponferrada to the Order of Temple, in the year 1178, the Templar knights found a small fortress that had originally been a castro and later on a Roman citadel.

They extended and improved it in order to defend the Road to Santiago; it would be finished by the year 1282.

The Castle nowadays is the result of several building works.

Castillo de los TemplariosHigh resolution image. This link will open using lightbox, there may be a context switch
Improvements and new elements from the first square plant wall in the early 12th century to the latest areas that were built at the end of the 15th century and at the beginning of the 16th century.

Further improvements such as the stables in 1848 and the long number of alterations that were made from the beginning of the 20th century, have contributed to the complexity of the monument as it is known today.

The coats of arms of the people that lived here and took part in the process of construction are a clear example of the different stages.

Date statement BIC: Designated Oficial Monument heritage since 1924
Hours and tours

  • del  1 al 25 de marzo de martes a domingo de 10.00 a 14.00 h. y de 16.00 a 19.00 h.
  • desde el 26 de marzo al 31 de mayo de martes adomingo de 10.00 a 14.00 y de 16.30 a 20.30 h.
  • Lunes cerrado.
Localizar en el callejero
Address: Avda. del Castillo s/n - 24400 Ponferrada
Teléfono +34 987 402 244



  • Where to sleep, Guide of Housings
  • To eat in Ponferrada, Restaurant Guide
Tecnología Proxia